Monday 2 March 2015

I see you!!! Or rather... I don't see you!

Have you ever been on a blind date? And by that I don't mean a blind "you don't know her" date but a blind "I don't see you" date... (Maybe "No one will ever see you again" date has always happened.



Almost a week ago, I went on such a date... Weeks ago, my friend told me about this girl... She was smart, sexy, loud, foreign, fun and... best of all... didn't "judge people superficially" - HIS WORDS... Thinking that for once in my lifetime, they were actually going to be helpful and be nice to me.



I couldn't be more wrong...

I waited on a bench near the plaza. I was dressed in a plain blue blazer, white shirt, jeans and white trainers. Waiting there on a bench alone, I got the occasional stares but also met a few foreigners who suggested I join them for an evening round the town.

With the biggest smile I could muster and crushing the rebellion forming inside of me, I denied the offer and waited. I see this great looking red headed girl walking past me, arm-in-arm with a guy who would easily compete with Brad Pitt for God's gift to women. After a few paces, they stop and he takes out his phone.

My jacket starts ringing and surprisingly enough... That girl was my date... The first thing he told me was simply... "She's Blind."



AS I said, I'm neither one to judge but still... It was a small shock to my system... I didn't know what to say or how to respond at first. All I know is that at some point he disappeared and I was left stranded with this girl on my arm...

I assure you that unless you have ever dealt with a blind person... Its going to be kind of hard to talk to them without knowing how to begin. Fortunately for me... She started the conversation...

SHE JOKED ABOUT HERSELF BEING BLIND!!! AT THAT MOMENT, I ADMIRED HER COURAGE!!!

I will never forget the first joke she told me that day...

"Do you know why I don't do extreme sports?"

I looked back at her dumbfounded... I keep forgetting she can't see my face...

"My dog... I'm sure, it would scare the s*** out of him!"



I burst out laughing... Then we hit it off...

All in all, the date went well... Sort of... The stares that we got from people... The snide comments... It just shows that human beings are really scared of what they have never experienced!

I still and mistakes... She at least took it as a joke and knew I meant no harm. Believe me! Never mention the words "Have you ever SEEN/WATCHED ________?" Or "Do you have problems moving around form place to place?"

She answered me seriously and maybe appreciated that I asked her enough questions to satiate my curiosity. When we went for Chinese, I had to describe where everything was and she didn't make a single mess!

Over Chinese, we kept on chatting and told me about a few of the worst dates she ever had! She always had an answer for them!

Q: "How do you know you're blind?"
A: "Well... I woke up one morning and I had this little voice screaming in my head... She was telling me that the guy I was going to go on a date with was an idiot!"



Q: "How did you learn to walk?"
A: "Blind school! We've got blind teachers an' everything!"

Q: "Do you know where Lidl is?"
A: "Mhm... Look that way *lifts cane in any direction*. It's somewhere thataway!"

Q: "Do you Drive?"
A: "Yep! I stick my cane out the window and have a warning sign on my car. It says 'Give way! Blind person driving.' "



I've never laughed so hard in my life.

At the end of the date, I drove her home and despite us not dating, I still contact her every now and then and go watch a film. (She closes her eyes and just listens to the film, for those who are wondering!)

No comments:

Post a Comment